Wednesday, May 30, 2012

What's in My Glass Wednesdays! 2010 Gewurztraminer by Blair Vineyards


It's been about a week since my last blog post... I'm afraid my traveling schedule is catching up to me.  I really must learn a quicker way to archive pictures... Perhaps it's time for a smart phone.  ;)

Anyway, I thought I'd kick off with another great Pennsylvania Winery: Blair Vineyards in Kutztown, Pennsylvania!  For those in the wine biz, you may recognize this winery from the March 2012 Wines and Vines cover photo.  Known for their excellent Pinot Noir, Blair is surely making a name for itself.  I had the opportunity to recently taste the 2010 Gewurztraminer (Gewurz... becoming a new favorite variety for me...) and I thought today would be a great day to share!

 
Blair Vineyards
(Photo from Google Images)

2010 Gewurztraminer by Blair Vineyards


Blair Vineyards 2010 Gewurztraminer
(Photos by author)

The D-2010 Scale 
2010 Gewurztraminer by Blair Vineyards (Kutztown, Pennsylvania)
Appearance (10 points possible): Pale straw yellow, brilliant and clear. - 10 points
Aroma/Bouquet (20 points possible): Fresh rose oil with hints of wild flowers, slightly pungent, bright citrus subtle nuances of spice. - 16 points
Taste (10 points possible):  Medium-bodied and with a filled texture in the middle palate, which is not common for Gewurz.  Full of floral and spicy flavors, slighly hot from the higher alcohol, with a crisp lemon drop character. - 7 points
Balance (5 points possible): The wine fills in nicely and is fairly well integrated.  The higher alcohol, for me, of course unbalances this wine. - 4 points
Finish (5 points possible): Lingers with hints of spice and lemon drops and a slight touch of heat. - 5 points
Packaging 
Quality of Package (5 points possible):  Sleek bottle with traditional Blair label.  Closed with a synthetic cork and capsuled.  Overall, nice presentation.  - 5 points
Label Marketability (10 points possible):  Blair's labels are characteristic to me.  As a consumer, I've come to recognize and remember his labels.  I like that the colors are altered depending on the variety and that the label itself is textured.  This is a nice touch. - 10 points
Other (5 points possible):  No extras on this wine! - 3 points
Total Points: 90 points
Overall Thought: I have come to recognize Gewurztraminer as not being overly well integrated in terms of it's mouthfeel.  I think the thing that turns consumers off from this variety is that Gewurz tends to be up front with tons of flavor and feeling, no middle, but then lingering with a slightly toned-down finish.  Overdone, and Gewurz can be a very chemical-bitter mess, but done right, and this variety is always ready to please.  This Gewurz is quite different.  There has less of that general disconnect on the palate and it's filled with lots of flavor and structure.  For those people that want to try Gewurz, I recommend this one.  It's a great wine to compare with others of that variety.
Food Pairings:  Gewurz is a great stir-fry wine.  Right now, I'm thinking of a finely made chard stir fry with some roast chicken and rice that this would pair with magically.
Cost: $13.99
Splurge Factor (out of 4): 1... Price is all relative, and I believe you're really getting a great deal here.
Where to buy: Check out Blair Vineyards online.  Remember if you are PA resident, the wines can be shipped directly to your doorstep!  Don't stop at the Gewurz with this producer.  I highly recommend the Pinot Noirs, Pinot Gris (one of my favorites in the state!), and the Chardonnays.

No comments:

Post a Comment