Monday, November 29, 2010

Cream of Turkey and Wild Rice Soup

I'm sitting here at home, completely congested, with a sick kitty.  What makes a sick day better?  Soup!  So, although not completely wine related, I thought I'd share my yearly tradition of "Cream of Turkey and Wild Rice Soup" which I found on The Food Network some time ago.  I love this recipe, and I'm so glad I made a whole batch of it yesterday while I was feeling more up-to-par!  For your convenience, I have added my adaption of the recipe. 

To accompany this soup, I recommend a crisp, chilled Riesling or Gewurztraminer.  (There, I made this entry wine-related).  :)  The fruitiness should tone out some of the soup's earthiness, while the acidity of the wine cuts through the fat of the soup.  Now... enjoy!

Photo from Google Images

Cream of Turkey and Wild Rice Soup (Recipe adapted from EatingWell on the Food Network)

Ingredients
-1 Tbsp. extra-virgin Olive Oil
-2 c of sliced mushrooms (I prefer baby portabellas, and usually use 1 full package in the soup)
-3/4 c of sliced celery (I just make a lot)
-3/4 c of chopped carrots (I just make to our liking)
-1/4 c of chopped shallots (I just cut up 1 shallot)
-1/4 c all-purpose flour
-1/4 tsp. of salt
-1/4 tsp. of freshly ground pepper
-4 c reduced-sodium chicken broth (I use 1 48 oz. container of broth)
-1 c quick-cooking or instant wild rice (you can also use 1 cup of regular rice, but prepare the rice ahead of time)
-3 c shredded turkey
-1/2 c reduced-fat sour cream
-2 Tbsp. of chopped, fresh parsley

Directions
1) Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add mushrooms, celery, carrots, and shallots.  Cook, stirring, until softened (about 5 minutes).
2) Add flour, salt, and pepper.  Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more.
3) Add broth and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits.
4) Add rice and reduce heat to a simmer.  Cover and cook until the rice is tender (5 to 7 minutes). *If I have to pre-cook the rice, I only cook it half-way, and then add at this step, allowing it to tenderize in the soup mix.
5) Stir in turkey, sour cream, and parsley.  Cook until heated through (about 2 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment