Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What's in My Glass Wednesdays! Gruner Veltliner by Galen Glen Winery

There's a lot of hype in the wine world about Gruner Veltliner these days (said "grooner velt-leener"), and I found one that's worth talking about... right here in the state of Pennsylvania.  Introducing Galen Glen Winery and their Gruner Veltliner!


Galen Glen is gorgeous!  It's hidden in the rolling mountainous hills of eastern Pennsylvania.  Looking over the vineyards reminds me of that wine country feel.  And they make FANTASTIC wines, particularly their German-style whites, as well as some red ones that are definitely worth a purchase.  I highly suggest trying some of their wines.  Not only will you be greeted by a charming and cheerful bunch, but you'll also be enchanted by many of their wines.

Here's Sarah, the winemaker, pouring wines at Galen Glen

(Photos from Google Images)

Gruner Veltliner by Galen Glen Winery

The D-2010 Scale 
Gruner Veltline by Galen Glen Winery (Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania)
Appearance (10 points possible): pale yellow, almost whitish in color, clear - 10 points
Aroma/Bouquet (20 points possible): Lightly grassy, with hints of citrus matched with honey, light spice, pears, and apples. - 19 points
Taste (10 points possible):  Light and crisp, full of spiced honey and citrus.  Nice acidity and a splash of mineralty in the finish.  The wine is still slightly closed - probably needs a bit of aging or some oxygen before sipping, but it's fantastic.  It lacks the oily, greasy, vegetal character that many Gruners have. - 10 points
Balance (5 points possible): I couldn't ask for a better balanced wine. - 5 points
Finish (5 points possible):  Crisp and minerally.  I get a nice "fresh water pouring over smooth stones" kind of flavor in the finish that lingers with a crisp acidity and refreshing nature.  It's a very bright and smooth finish. - 5 points
Packaging *Introduction to the D-2010 Scale*
Quality of Package (5 points possible):  Traditional Burgundian bottle. - 5 points
Label Marketability (10 points possible):  This is another one of those traditional labels.  It's beautiful, don't get me wrong.  But on a shelf, will you see it?  I don't know.  However, the nature of this wine is very serious and label captures that. - 8 points
Other (5 points possible): I like the package for this wine because it speaks seriousness with regards to what Galen Glen is producing.  I think that's an important attribute for this region to capture.  Of course, this is my subjective, biased opinion... but aren't wine scores in general?  :)  I'm just telling you my thoughts!  It's up to you if you take my advice. - 4 points
Total Points: 96 points
Overall Thought: I, of course, loved this wine.  It's actually the first Gruner I've fell in love with.  There's just so much about it that make it a perfect, light-bodied, refreshing white wine.  It's dry and is an easy drinking wine for red and white consumers alike.  I challenge all the sweet-wine lovers to try a wine like this and tell me you don't like it!  Then pair it with some food and tell me you don't like it!
Food Pairings:  This is a great wine for seafood, especially lighter seafoods.  I can see something like this with oysters, but it's not necessarily its best pairing option.  Light chicken dishes would be good with this - anything that doesn't include a heavy sauce.  Or try light pork dishes, vegetarian meals, and even spicy Asian cuisine.  It's an easy pairing wine - which is what makes white wines so magical.
Cost: $14
Splurge Factor (out of 4): 1 - it's an absolute steal to buy a wine this good at that price.
Where to buy:  Check out the winery: Galen Glen Winery and find out where they retail.  I know they are put into some higher-end restaurants throughout Pennsylvania.  You'll be lucky if you can grab a bottle of this with dinner!  Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment