Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tis the Season to Try a Hard Cider

One of my favorite parts in The Botany of Desire is where the author, Michael Pollan, states that Johnny Appleseed wasn't spreading the good word of the modern apple - he was spreading the seed of hard cider!  Funny how history turns into a bunch of old wives' tales and is made to be "children friendly."  :)

Johnny Appleseed
(Photo from Google Images)

I found it curious to walk into a local restaurant and see a heading at the beer list, "We bet anyone can find a beer they like on here."  And near the bottom of the list was a hard cider by Strongbow.  I was surprised to see a hard cider (I don't know), and thought, "Now here's something that even wine drinkers can appreciate."

(Photo from Google Images)

I often get the question, "I only drink wine, but can you suggest a beer I'd like?"  OR  "I only drink beer.  I've never found a wine I like.  Do you think you could find [a wine] I'd enjoy?"  I've heard many theories on what wine beer-drinkers should try and what beer wine-drinkers should try.  But, I've never found the magic-bullet to this question.  However, if ciders are considered beers, here's some that the wine-drinkers might enjoy.  So I thought I'd spend today's blog looking at a few hard ciders that I've tried recently...

Another great benefit of hard ciders - almost all of them are gluten free!  (I think this is great because you don't leave the restaurant with that heavy feeling you get from drinking beer.)  Plus, a nice apple taste is perfect for the turning seasons.  :)

Strongbow Hard Cider - light, dry, very apple-juice like in a nice carbonated way.  Very light bodies and refreshingly pleasant.  This is one of the first I tried, and loved it.  But this is what the English make well.  :)

(Photo from Google Images)

Woodchuck Hard Cider "Summer" - Lightly reminiscent of fresh blueberries, but not too strong to over-do the apple flavor.  Slightly sweet but still refreshing and pleasant.  I can see why this is their summer flavor.  This one is made in Vermont.

(Photo from Google Images)

Keewaydin Hard Cider - Lighter in apple flavor compared to Strongbow, but also slightly sweeter than Strongbow (I think less sweet than Woodchuck's Summer Hard Cider).  Also, nice, soft tartness in the finish.

(Photo from Google Images)

2 comments:

  1. I love cider, and I loved Michael Pollan's The Botany of Desire. I recommend trying Aspall English Cider, and Foggy Ridge from VA is very good - I like their Serious Cider best, which is a dry English-style. And if you ever have an opportunity to try Basque cider, definitely don't pass that up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if I can find these in PA. Thus far, I've only found Strongbow and Woodchuck in Wegman's. But I would definitely love to try all of those!

    ReplyDelete