Wednesday, April 13, 2011

What's in My Glass Wednesdays! Semi-Dry Blueberry Wine by Keel & Curley Winery

Yesterday I featured my Sangria recipe using blueberry wine, but today I'll focus on the wine base itself.  I have to admit that the wine is actually quite refreshing.  It's not overly "blueberry-like" and is quite enjoyable.  I recommend serving these wines chilled, and they are great spring/summer wines.  I like the idea of using a local fruit and creating a value-added product out of it.  And I'm not opposed to making wines with fruits other than grapes.  It's the 21st century - let's get creative!  So... with no further ado... the Semi-Dry Blueberry Wine by Keel & Curley Winery!

Semi-Dry Blueberry Wine
Semi-Dry Blueberry Wine 
(Photo from Keel & Curley Winery website)


The D-2010 Scale 
Semi-Dry Blueberry Wine by Keel & Curley Winery (Plant City, FL)
Appearance (10 points possible): Ruby red color with slight blue tint.  Slightly brown edges. - 8 points
Aroma/Bouquet (20 points possible): Floral, blueberry-like, overall fruity. - 18 points
Taste (10 points possible): Medium-bodied wine with a light floral, blueberry flavor, smooth mid-palate, crisp acidity, and noticeable sweetness but not overbearing.  Wine is not syrupy.  Simple, slightly sweet wine. - 8 points
Balance (5 points possible): The acid is slightly disintegrated from the rest of the wine, but the sweetness matches well with the flavors and acid of this wine. - 3 points
Finish (5 points possible): Smooth, slightly sweet finish with a pleasant lingering blueberry flavor. - 4
Total Points: 91
Overall Thought: I tried their 3 blueberry wines, and the Semi-Dry was my (and "Johnny Depp's") favorite.  The sweetness cut through some of that acidity from the blueberry fruit that was noticed in the dry blueberry wine.  Also, there was a some noticeable VA in the dry blueberry wine.  The sweet blueberry was just too sweet and syrupy for us.  But overall, I was really surprised how enjoyable these wines were.  I really expected them to be over the top blueberry, but they weren't.  They had a very nice fruity, floral, wine character to them.  I give Keel & Curley credit for making a nicely balanced product. 
Food Pairings: Ummm... really?  Cheesecake!  Blueberry wine would be fabulous with cheesecake or vanilla ice cream.  However, I'm really craving paella with this wine for some reason. 
Cost: $12
Splurge Factor (out of 4): 1 - Budget-friendly, and something different from the typical California wines.  This is a nice wine that can stand on its own on be a part of dessert.  But overall, pleasant and worth the buy.
Where to buy: Purchase online at Keel & Curley Winery website.  :)  Cheers!

Blueberry Cheesecake
(Photo from Google Images)

No comments:

Post a Comment