Friday, March 16, 2012

Friday Feature: Thai Curry with Gewurztraminer

Curry is one of my favorite things to eat... ever!  Over the years, I found a lot of recipes, but my chef-friends have all told me its in the curry paste.  However... I don't have enough time (or patience) to make curry paste so I go to the grocery store and buy it.  :)  I find curry to be an enjoyable dish during all times of the year - winter, spring, summer, and fall - because there are so many different vegetable and flavor combinations.  My suggestion: make your curry to appease you!  Buy the vegetables you love most, and if you don't eat meat, you can always make curry vegetarian quite easily.

Spicy Thai Curry
(Photo by author)

Thai Curry
(Recipe adapted from several curry recipes)

Ingredients
2 cans of chicken stock (or vegetable stock for the vegetarian selections)
2 cups of water
1/2 white onion, sliced to your preference
small piece of fresh ginger, minced
1 small serrano pepper, sliced and seeds removed
1 can coconut milk
1 Tablespoon chili paste
1 can of red curry paste
2 cups of freshly cooked chicken (or no chicken for vegetarian selections)
1 head of baby bok choy, sliced
1 carton of baby brown mushrooms, washed and quartered
1/2 cup of sliced carrots
juice of 1 lime
fresh cilantro for garnish
minced red pepper for garnish
1 cup of jasmine rice

Directions
1) Grill or saute the chicken thoroughly.  Remove from heat and cut into small pieces.  Set aside.
2) Make jasmine rice according to package directions.  Set aside.
3) Put the stock and water in a soup pot with the onion, ginger, and sliced serrano pepper.  Simmer over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes.
4) Add the coconut milk, red curry paste, chili paste, chicken, mushrooms, carrots, and bok choy.  Let it simmer for another 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
5) Add lime juice and mix.  
6) On plate, serve rice and pour curry over top to individual liking.  Add cilantro and red peppers for garnish.

Wine Pairings: Gewurztraminer
I should really note that I'm not a huge Gewurztraminer fan, but over the past few months, I have found a few that I enjoy.  Despite my preferences, I can say that Gewurztraminer, especially with a touch of residual sugar, really pairs nicely with spicy Thai curry.  Here are a few of my suggestions:

(Photo by author)
This 2007 Albert Boxer Gewurztraminer from Alsace, France was just beautiful!  The sweetness really filled in the "hole" that I always think Gewurz has, and smoothed out the traditional bitterness associated with the variety.  Beautifully floral and fruity, this is a real crowd pleaser with curry.

(Photo by author)
I'll probably take the time to review this wine next week, but this was a first time for me.  I don't usually buy Gewurz's from Oregon.  That being said, I really enjoyed the 2008 Gewurztraminer from Swallow (only $9), and again, a perfect pairing with Thai curry.  Not as sweet as the Alsatian Gewurz, and the acidity was much crisper.  Still romantically floral - as if it was made for that spicy soup!

(Photo from Google Images)
Although a dry Gewurz by Galen Glen Winery, this is very Alsatian in style.  Light bodied with elegant flavors of honeysuckle and sweet roses, this also makes a lovely pairing with Thai curry.  And it's produced in Pennsylvania.  Always a good idea to go local.

Thai Curry with Alsatian Gewurz
(Photo by Google Images)



No comments:

Post a Comment