Wednesday, March 21, 2012

What's In My Glass Wednesdays?

Last week, I featured Gewurz with Thai curry, which seemed to be a big hit.  [You'd never know by looking at my blog, but readers, you are welcome to comment or join my "following"! :)  Please don't hesitate!]  For some reason, I've been on this Gewurz streak, and I found this one on a recent visit to the Finger Lakes, which may be of interest to many of you.

2010 Gewurztraminer by Glenora Wine Cellars
(Photo by author)

The D-2010 Scale 
2010 Gewurztraminer by Glenora Wine Cellars (Seneca Lake, Finger Lakes NY, United States)
Appearance (10 points possible): faint, light yellow color, brillant - 10 points
Aroma/Bouquet (20 points possible): Roses, citrus, candied orange peel, slight hints of cinnamon. - 14 points
Taste (10 points possible):  Very light bodied for a Gewurz.  No hole in the mid-palate.  Full of citrus and rose flavor with a slight sweet finish.  Hints of candied orange peel linger in the finish. - 7 points
Balance (5 points possible): Well balanced and smooth. - 5 points
Finish (5 points possible): The finish lingers with some sweetness and sugary flavors of fresh blooming flowers as well as some strong citrus.  It lingers for quite some time, which allows this wine to be sipped as is or paired with food. - 4 points
Packaging *Introduction to the D-2010 Scale*
Quality of Package (5 points possible):  Beautiful aromatic white bottle.  Use of a Nomacorc (synthetic) for a closure, capped with a golden capsule. - 5 points
Label Marketability (10 points possible):  I can't figure out if the label is "too much" for me or just plain "intriguing."  Either way, it definitely sticks out. - 8 points
Other (5 points possible):  No little extras on this bottle other than the matching gold trim and gold capsule. - 4 points
Total Points: 87 points
Overall Thought: To me, this wasn't as characteristic of a Gewurztraminer as some of the previous wines I've reviewed.  It reminded me a lot of a Finger Lakes Riesling with a little extra "umph," which was somewhat disappointing.  I guess, since I first started my Gewurz journey, I've come to like the specific characteristics of this variety.  However, this is a good introductory wine if you are not a huge fan of the variety or have never tried it before (but like Riesling).  This will get you on the right track.
Food Pairings:  This would've gone well with my Thai curry.  Or, pair this with a light fish dish.  It has a touch of residual sugar which makes it quite enjoyable with many foods.
Cost: $15
Splurge Factor (out of 4): 1... pretty good value for $15.
Where to buy:  Check out Glenora Wine Cellars for retail information


No comments:

Post a Comment