Wednesday, April 18, 2012

What's in My Glass Wednesdays! 2007 Pinot Blanc by Domaines Schlumberger

Pinot Blanc is not a white variety that you see very often, but every once and awhile I come across a bottle, and take a chance.  This was no different.  I found this one from Alsace (France) in a wine retail store for about $10.  To me, that's worth a chance!  :)  But I guess I'll have to let you be the judge of that...

2007 Pinot Blanc by Domaines Schlumberger

(Photos by author)


The D-2010 Scale 
2007 Pinot Blanc by Domaines Schlumberger (Alsace, France)
Appearance (10 points possible): Light hay yellow in color. Brilliantly clear - 10 points
Aroma/Bouquet (20 points possible): Lightly floral and fresh citrus zest.  The nose is weak on this, but it's not a very aromatic variety to my knowledge. - 16 points
Taste (10 points possible):  Light-bodied with a flinty, minerality and crispness.  No oak in this wine.  Just a touch of sweetness lingers with this wine.  The finish is tart and refreshing with citrusy flavors. - 7 points
Balance (5 points possible): This wine is well balanced and very light. - 5 points
Finish (5 points possible): Acidic or tart by nature, with just a hint of sweetness and citrus flavors.  Quite lengthy. - 5 points
Packaging 
Quality of Package (5 points possible):  Alsacian bottle shape with signature green-glass color.  Traditional label and packaging.  - 5 points
Label Marketability (10 points possible):  This wine took me a while to find, simply because it "blends in" with its surrounds.  But I do like the extra information on the back of the label.  Gives the buyer good details on exactly what they are buying. - 8 points
Other (5 points possible):  No big extras on this one. - 3 points
Total Points: 96 points
Overall Thought: If you like white wines with light structure and mouthfeel, and no influence of oak, then this is your wine.  It's very food friendly, summer friendly, and refreshing.  I very much enjoyed this wine, but I wish I would've chosen a different food to eat with it.  :)  To me this is a crisp, summer wine: something that you can sip on while sitting on your patio watching the kids or enjoying a good book.
Food Pairings:  I think this went well with a spicy red curry.  [I had peanut curry with this wine and it didn't go quite well with that.]  But for some reason, I could also see this with sushi.  I don't know why, but I kept thinking sushi while drinking this wine.  I think this could also go very well with something like fish and chips or a lightly breaded white fish (think cod or haddock).  Ooo... scallops a very light white sauce, anyone?
Cost: I've seen this marked anywhere between $10 to $17, depending on where it is being retailed.
Splurge Factor (out of 4): 1... I think this still falls in the "good enough to try and see how it goes" range.  :)
Where to buy:  I would check a local retail store near you.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment