Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Wine Trip: Seneca Lake - Finger Lakes

Ever think about visiting the Finger Lakes?  Well, I had the luxury of finally visiting Seneca Lake and thought I'd share a bit about this little piece of Finger Lake Wine Country because it's such a beautiful place to visit.  I went in the beginning of March, right as the winter is coming to a close, but before all the stunning spring blossoms open.  I hope that the follow recollection of my visit will encourage many of you to visit this beautiful lake and explore some of the Finger Lake's finest offerings.  :)

As one enters Seneca Lake from the southern end, it's really quite amazing to pass these small water falls.  These natural beauties are trickled along the southern end of the lake and are worth a stop to gaze upon:

Montour Falls
(Photo by author)

Let's not forget the natural beauty of the lake itself.  Look at those slopes!  I think that is one of those things that makes the Finger Lakes so breathtaking - the slopes that lead into the water.
Seneca Lake
(Photo by author)

There are a lot of fabulous and popular wineries along Seneca Lake - Fulkerson, Fox Run, Glenora, Red Newt Cellars - just to name a few.  I had the pleasure of visiting three beautiful wineries while I was there:

Anthony Road Winery was quite pleasant.  Coupled with a beautiful tasting room and fabulous wines, I highly recommend this stop.  You'll find a lot of these wines recognized by the Wine Spectator, but I highly encourage visitors to try something outside of their comfort zone.  You won't be disappointed:
Anthony Road Tasting Room

View of Seneca Lake from Anthony Road Winery Tasting Room

The Cab Franc Rose - Gorgeous!

Cab Franc and Lemberger - A classic Finger Lakes blend

PN II - An affordable and enjoyable Pinot Noir

Art Series Riesling - Simply Breathtaking
(Photos by author)

Another beautiful winery is Red Tail Ridge Winery.  I loved this small tasting room - quite cozy.  Not to mention the sustainable objective of the winery.  It's quite enjoyable to see such a profound effort to work with nature in creating such renown wines.  This is the winery that poduced the sparkling Teroldego  I reviewed last week!
Red Tail Ridge Winery
(Photo by author)

Last but not least was Hermann J. Weimer Winery.  Known for it's attention to detail in the vineyard and profound site selections, these wines will not disappoint.  The tasting room itself is small, quaint and absolutely inviting.  I loved being in there; it was such a welcoming experience.  The winery is stunning.  I think the pictures speak for themselves:
Soil Samples and Wines

The Tasting Room at Hermann J. Weimer

The Tank Room - Check out those ceilings!!

The Winter Tasting Bar at Hermann J. Weimer :)
(Photos by author)



4 comments:

  1. Hi Denise! Looks like you had a great time in the FLX. Did you meet Nancy at Red Tail Ridge? Or Johannes at AR? I could go for some AR CF Rose right now! Errrr it's 7:20 am :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did meet Johannes. He was a wealth of knowledge! But I only met Michael at Red Tail Ridge. Also was very fortunate to meet Fred at Hermann J. Weimer. It was such a nice group of people to meet! Definitely loved the AR Cab Franc Rose! I highly recommend it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great time to spend over the hills with much of the fun I appreciate your sharing.

    ReplyDelete