Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Wine Buzz: 2009 Sauvignon Blanc by Provenance Vineyards

It's been awhile since I had a good wine pick, and as I'm flooded with California wines these days, I found a rather nice one.  It was quite a surprise to see this bottled in a screw cap, but if consumed within the next 2 years, I believe the freshness should be of equal standing since we tried this bottle.

Provenance Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc Rutherford 09


The D-2010 Scale! (I need to copyright this...)
2009 Sauvignon Blanc by Provenance Vineyards (Rutherford) 
Appearance (10 points possible): pale yellow color, clear - 10 points
Aroma/Bouquet (20 points possible): immediately get grapefruit and fig-like character, lychee, pears, white peaches, slight melon and cream  - 20 points
Taste (10 points possible): fruit forward, but medium-bodied in the mid-palate with the creamy texture and a lengthy, smooth finish.  citrus fruit flavors linger in the finish, with slight bitterness in the tail, but hidden well when paired with food  - 9 points
Balance (5 points possible): perfectly balanced - great fruit, but not overly fruity and grassy like a New Zealand Sauv Blanc and not overly oaked like some Napa Sauv Blancs - 5 points
Finish (5 points possible): Lots of fruit in the entry, but the finish completes this wine with lingering fruit and creaminess. - 5 points 
Add 50 points for attempt, packaging, closure, etc.
Total Points: 99
Overall Thought: I absolutely LOVED this Sauvignon Blanc.  For me, this is the perfect style of Sauvignon Blanc.  I like the small hint of oak that is well integrated and not over powering.  The alcohol level is not super high, which is impressive for a Napa Valley wine.  Although I enjoy New Zealand style Sauvignon Blancs, I enjoy the extra depth and structure given from the oak, which is more like a Bordeaux style Sauvignon Blanc.  Lots of fresh fruit, but sophistication underneath it all.
Food Pairings: Ahi tuna, pork, wasabi dressings, or drink on its own
Cost: Listed at $22.00
Splurge Factor (out of 4): 2 - it's in the the $20 to $30 range, so I'll up the splurge factor, but a very good Sauvignon Blanc to splurge on
Where to buy: Order online if you can (otherwise, I'm hoping it's distributed throughout the U.S.): http://www.provenancevineyards.com/index.cfm

No comments:

Post a Comment