Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Matching Wines

In a recent tasting, I found 2 very similar wines from 2 very different regions.  I give total props to Chateau Ste. Michelle's 2010 Harvest Select Riesling for being so similar in style and taste to the 2009 Kreuznacher Kahlenberg Riesling Spatlese.  Plus, both came in around 10 - 10.5% alcohol.


I think this is a good example of a New World region making a wine very similar to the Old World style where it originated.  


Although, I will say that after the wines remained open for a few days, the 2 wines took very different turns.  The Chateau Ste. Michelle kept its fruitiness while the ....... became more floral and lavender-like.   I also liked the touch of "spritsy bubbles" that held in the Spatlese over time.  Very pleasant! 

However, both were still very, very good!  I invite you to try this combo if you get a chance to find both.  Bonus: Both are buyer-friendly, falling under $20 per bottle.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment