Tuesday, February 1, 2011

What's in My Glass Wednesdays! 2007 Mayacamas Vineyards Chardonnay

This is one of those wineries I've been meaning to get to for quite some time and still have not.  But I was lucky enough to try some wine.  :)  After hearing my co-worker rant and rave about this Chardonnay, I decided I had to make a dinner to try this one out, and I'm lucky I did.  Thankfully for you, I can write about it.  (Cheers!)

The fun part about Mayacamas Vineyards is that their red wine was included in the 1976 Paris Wine tasting in which several wine experts tasted the up-and-coming California red and white wines against the forever-famous red and white wines of France.  Although Mayacamas Vineyards did not win the red wine competition, I think it is worthy to note that out of all the California wineries of the 1970s, their bottle made the final cut.  And now, onto the 2007 Chardonnay by Mayacamas Vineyards:

2007 Mayacamas Vineyards Chardonnay
(Photo by Author)


The D-2010 Scale 
2007 Chardonnay by Mayacamas Vineyards (Napa Valley, CA)
Appearance (10 points possible): clear, straw yellow color - 10 points
Aroma/Bouquet (20 points possible): This wine definitely needs some time to open, as the aromas and flavors really come forward an hour or so after the bottle is opened.  Ample amounts of fruit and oak in the nose: apples, pears, slight pineapple character, coconut, vanilla, butterscotch, almonds, and slight mineral.  - 18 points
Taste (10 points possible): The acid in this Napa Valley wine is dynamic, but it helps carry the oak flavors and contributing body.  The wine is dry, medium to full bodied.  The flavor is initially fruity, but as the wine opens, the oak flavors really ring through (coconut, butterscotch, fresh oak, etc.) - 8 points
Balance (5 points possible): The acidity slightly sticks out to me, which is why I have to dock this one a point, but otherwise, a nicely balanced wine. - 4 points
Finish (5 points possible): The finish is smooth, lingering with buttery flavors and a crisp acidity.  It makes this the perfect California Chardonnay for food pairing. - 4 points 
Add 50 points for attempt, packaging, closure, etc.
Total Points: 94
Overall Thought: I like the crisp acidity with this Chardonnay.  I have to admit that it really stuck out to me at first because I've become so adjusted to drinking flabby Chardonnays.  The the acidity really brings a sure-fire crispness that makes this a very enjoyable Chardonnay on its own or with food.  In fact, for the amount of oak that touches this wine, I'm surprised how much I enjoy it.  The full package is worth the buy.
Food Pairings: We matched this with a cheese plate - it went really well with some young cheddars spicy pepper jack.  I think it would also pair very well with some creamy brie.  We also had it a second day with salmon - went very nicely with the meal.
Cost: About $30
Splurge Factor (out of 4): 2 - I think this wine is worth the buy.  When you want to spend that extra something for something worth buying, this would be that wine.  And it holds up well in the fridge.  We drank the bottle over 3 days (hey - there are only 2 of us!) and it held up quite well.  I was very impressed.
Where to buy: Check out Mayacamas Vineyards website: Mayacamas Vineyards to buy online, or purchase in your local California wine store.  I'm not sure if this one is sold nationally - if anyone finds it somewhere, please post!

No comments:

Post a Comment