Wednesday, February 16, 2011

What's in My Glass Wednesdays! 2007 Korbel Natural'

One of my personal favorites by Korbel is their 2007 Natural'.  I first enjoyed this wine at Korbel's Winery (see my previous blog post on visiting Korbel Winery).  It was there that I learned that their Natural' sparkling wine has been served at the past 5 Presidential Inaugurations.  It's quite a special wine!  As I opened, it's one of my favorites by Korbel, that, in fact "Johnny Depp" and I enjoyed for Valentine's Day.  Definitely one I hope I can continue to enjoy in the years to come.




The D-2010 Scale 
2007 Natural' by KORBEL (Russian River Valley, Sonoma County, CA)
Appearance (10 points possible): straw yellow with a hint of pink, nice small bubbles - 10 points
Aroma/Bouquet (20 points possible): Yeasty, floral, apple, slightly citrus, and bready.  Nice light combination of fruit and yeast. - 18 points
Taste (10 points possible): Light acidity, very effervescent, crisp yeasty flavors in combination with a slightly floral and apple flavor.  Finish is smooth, lingering, and pleasant.  - 9 points
Balance (5 points possible): Quite perfect.  Non-invasive acidity is balanced nicely with the small hint of sweetness in the finish and light floral notes. - 4 points
Finish (5 points possible): Very smooth, floral, and yeasty.  A perfectly light sparkling wine finish. - 4 points 
Add 50 points for attempt, packaging, closure, etc.
Total Points: 95
Overall Thought: Probably my favorite of the Korbel sparkling wines.  It has this nice hint of yeasty complexity with a very light floral/apple/citrus flavor.  I love it!
Food Pairings: Will go very well with seafood, including prawns/shrimp.  Also a nice sparkling wine for light, fruity desserts.  Perfect on a spring or summer day... or for that day when you are wishing it was spring!
Cost: About $12 to $20
Splurge Factor (out of 4): 1 - You can't find a better sparking wine that is a constant crowd pleaser at this price.
Where to buy: Available online: KORBEL.  I do not believe you can buy Natural' in stores; I believe it is only available through the winery and website.  But if you get a chance, try it!  I'm sure you will find it enjoyable.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment