Monday, March 28, 2011

Travel Tip: Frog's Leap Winery

It's true that I no longer live in Napa Valley, but I have so many fun places to share for people that are looking to travel out there.  (Please contact me if you need some tips!)  Here is another very fun winery to visit - one of my favorites in the Napa Valley and well worth a stop: Frog's Leap Winery.

Frog's Leap Winery (left) and Tasting Room (right)
(Photo by author)

The Sunny Side of Frog's Leap Winery
(Photo from Google Images)

First, I have to point out their website.  I absolutely love it.  Visit any other winery's website, and you'll get this typical, spa-like, all serious and mysterious motif in front of your face.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some of the serious nature in Napa, but Frog's Leap has a website that is sure to catch you off-guard and put a smile on your face.  It also makes you feel like visiting the winery is going to be a pleasant, welcoming experience, and I couldn't agree more.

Frog's Leap Winery Homepage
(I edited this image directly from Frog's Leap Winery website)

I visited the winery on a cold, rainy mid-winter afternoon.  And yet, walking into the front door of the tasting room was a cozy, warm experience.  The hospitality staff were friendly and smiling - they actually looked like they were having fun!  People were seated inside and outside - something I was quite afraid of at the time because it was chilly outside and I was in my winter coat.  But as I stepped outside, I noticed the porch was nice and cozy as well, warmed by the touch of various space heaters in the ceiling structure.  People were genuinely comfortable watching the rain fall, sipping Frog's Leap wines, and enjoying themselves mid-winter in Napa Valley.  (I later learned that the tasting room... and therefore the space heaters... were all running on geothermal energy.)

Tasting Room
(Photo by author)

The Cozy Entrance of the Tasting Room
(Photo by author)

Wine Tasting Set Up
(Photo by author)

Which leads me to the point that Frog's Leap Winery was the first organic vineyard in the valley.  Their grapes are grown organically, but because sulfur dioxide is add to the wines, the wines are not considered organic.  (I really do not want to divulge into my opinion on the use of sulfur dioxide in wines... but all I can say is that, I truly believe, at this point in our lives, sulfur dioxide is needed to ensure the quality and preservation of wines.)  Anyway... back to the point, additionally, it should be noted that 92 to 94% of the winery runs on solar energy, making Frog's Leap Winery a perfect example for sustainable farm practices.

A Cozy Corner on the Porch of the Tasting Room
(Photo by author)

Tasting fee is $20, but I would say it's well worth the experience here - peaceful, a charming hospitality staff, and good wines to sit and sip on is well worth it.  Plus, a nice plate of small goodies - dried fruits, cheeses, and nuts - is brought out to enjoy with the wines.  Absolutely a perfect Napa Valley experience (and the cheese is to die for!).  I tried 4 wines that day that I found quite impressive:

2009 Chardonnay (Napa Valley)

  • Green apple, citrus, hints of vanilla with a slightly yeasty, sur lie character, sharp minerality, slate, and a toasted wood character on the palate with sharp acidity that allows the wine to open and maintain its freshness for days.  Loved this wine with some of the nuts and cheeses provided with the tasting.

2007 Merlot (Rutherford)

  • Very black cherry like to me, with hints of plum fruit, dried herbs, and bacon fat.  Slightly smoky in the nose and finish.  Crisp acidity that makes the wine fresh and balanced.  Goes very well with the dried strawberries and raspberries.

2006 'Rutherford'

  • Primarily Cabernet Sauvignon, this wine has a gold label assigned to it.  Rich, tannin, dark red fruit flavors with a slight cedar character.  The lower alcohol (below 14%) really makes this wine pop.  An enjoyable Cabernet experience.  A prime example of Rutherford's terroir.  Try it with the dried fruits and cheeses!  I highly recommend it.

2007 Petit Sirah (Rutherford)

  • Ripe, fresh berries burst from the glass here.  Lots of strawberry flavor on the palate with a crisp slate character, and slightly smoky.  A big wine, but not too big.  Higher alcohol here, but it's hardly noticeable with the deep tannins, crisp/fresh acidity, and lingering finish.  Definitely try with the dried fruits, nuts, and cheese - it's a perfect match to all those provided.
Of course, if you get a chance, try Frog's Leap 'flagship wine' - their Rutherford Sauvignon Blanc (which sells for about $18 a bottle).  Plus, find their iconic 'RIBBIT!' corks when you pop open a bottle!  Who said wine tasting wasn't fun?  =)  There's really so much more to discover at Frog's Leap Winery, including their fabulous mustard, all of the landscaping and gardens, the history of the wooden barn (built in the 1800s), and where the name "Frog's Leap" came from.  But I invite you to find the answers to those questions when you visit! 

Frog's Leap Winery Wooden Cases
(Photo by author)

Frog's Leap Winery is set in the center of Napa Valley, in the Rutherford district, on one of the few crossroads between Highway 29 and the Silverado Trail.  It's nestled back into its own mini oasis of peace and quiet - no matter what time of the year you visit.  :)

Inside the Tasting Room
(Photo by author)

The Infamous Red Barn Through the Surrounding Trees
(Photo by author)

The Frog Pond
(Photo by author)

I have to apologize for the rainy, dreary photos.  But a part of me believes that the winery is still beautiful even during Napa's wet season.  To show some lighted beauty, I've added some extra pictures I found on Google Images that show the sunniness of the valley at Frog's Leap...

The Frog Pond
(Photo from Google Images)

The Red Barn
(Photo from Google Images)

The Top of the Red Barn
(Photo from Google Images)

Inside the Tasting Room - This image is a lot better than mine
(Photo from Google Images)

No comments:

Post a Comment