Friday, June 3, 2011

Friday Wine News You Can Use: Wine Tasting Etiquette

Ahhh this was a good article... one that we could all use!  When going into a tasting room (or any wine tasting event actually), it is standard practice to not wear perfume or cologne.  Why?  Because while you may not be able to smell yourself, everyone else can, and that interferes with the delicate wine aromas that are coming from your glass.


I'm not sure if not wearing perfume improves your sniffer (now I can more easily smell when I've been working too hard!), but it does make you more aware of your surrounding smells.  I find this rule to be a toughy because I really love perfume.  But if I'm in a winery, at a tasting event, or in a tasting room, I know not to do it.  Trust me, you'll appreciate it!

This article was originally posted on Wine Blog: Juicy Tales by Jo Diaz.  It is pasted here for your convenience.

Wine Tasting Etiquette ~ Please Save Your Perfume for More Romantic Times

by Jo Diaz

Although there’s a lot of “romance” associated with the “wine experience,” additional aromas when tasting wine don’t really add anything. In fact, they take a lot away from a really pleasant experience.

I’m no saint with this one. I’ll admit it… I learned this the hard way.

It was when I began my wine career in a tasting room. What did I know? I honestly knew so little about wine, that I didn’t know this really basic rule. I was gently told, and life moved on to a more enjoyable place.

Once one’s wearing perfume – this applies to both men and women – the pure enjoyment of tasting wine’s been drastically altered. It’s impossible to pick up all the nuances, if any perfume’s included in the experience.

It’s been years since I’ve worn perfume, as a result. What that’s done to my senses has allowed for me to smell even more delicate aromas than before I dropped the love potions. My sniffer’s so sensitive that this past week, I was able to smell cigarette smoke from another car, while we waited for the light to turn green… and all my windows were up. (I’ve also got a tank of a car for tight closure.) I honestly should have never smelled the other person’s cigarette smoke. Imagine, then, the person who just bathed in cologne standing next to me at a tasting. I’m over the edge before I even begin… And so are many, many others.

Consider, when you’re going to be wine tasting, that the more aromas you’re wearing, the less you’re really going to smell and taste wine. You’ll greatly benefit, as will those around you, if you hold off the perfume for the most romantic part of your day… An evening soiree with someone you love… after you’ve had your candlelight food and wine dinner.



No comments:

Post a Comment