Wednesday, June 22, 2011

What's in My Glass Wednesdays! 2010 Colombelle White Blend

While searching for something thrifty and new... I stumbled upon a white, screw capped wine from France.  At the $7 price, I found it a steal.

Not the right vintage, but this is what the label looks like!
(Photo from Google Images)


The D-2010 Scale 
2010 White Wine by Colombelle  (Cotes de Gascogne, France)
Appearance (10 points possible): pale straw-yellow in color, clear - 10 points
Aroma/Bouquet (20 points possible): Lemongrass, fresh green grass, citrus, and slightly floral. - 14 points
Taste (10 points possible):  This white wine is very light with a citrusy, grassy flavor throughout.  A sharp acidity hits you after a few seconds of sipping.  Lingering citrus flavors hug your tongue in the finish. - 6 points
Balance (5 points possible): The wine is light, but the acidity does stick out a bit to me here.  Overall, good balance for this simplistic wine. - 3 points
Finish (5 points possible): Everlasting citrus flavors hug your palate. - 3 points
Packaging *Introduction to the D-2010 Scale*
Quality of Package (5 points possible):  A screw top wine, and lower quality white glass.  Obviously, a cheap, table wine purchase. - 3 points
Label Marketability (10 points possible): I think the label caught my attention because I'm drawn to purple.  Well... that and the fact that there was a big "$6.99!" sign high above the bottles.  This label, to me, is trying to capture the American market with some French appeal.  It's very table wine-like to me.  That's not necessarily bad.  It just looks a bit amateurish and low-end. - 6 points
Other (5 points possible):  I don't know why I have this other category.  It was supposed to be for fun, funky bottles, but there are so few out there.  So nothing majorly wrong with this bottle - give them the points! - 5 points
Total Points: 80 points
Overall Thought: This was a bright, simple white wine.  It was very similar to a New Zealand style Sauvignon Blanc.  However, the wine is quite dry and poignantly sour.  But it is filled with some positive flavors.  The wine is a mixture of 2 wine grapes: 70% Colombard and 30% Ugni Blanc.  At 11.5% alcohol, this is a good buy for $7.
Food Pairings:  I found this wine really goes well with sushi.  I think it's because the acidity is so crisp.  But I would say overall, this is a good seafood wine.  :)
Cost: $7
Splurge Factor (out of 4): 1 - This a wine under $10.  What more could you want?
Where to buy:  The question on where to buy wines is going to be a bit more difficult for me than it used to because I can mostly purchase through the PA Wine & Spirit stores, which is where this one was found.  But, you can follow them Facebook.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm on it! Company on the deck Friday so I need a wine stop.

    ReplyDelete