Monday, June 27, 2011

Wine in "Callin' Baton Rouge"

Every now and again I catch myself hearing the word "wine" in a song, and it makes me stop.  I have to go look up lyrics and evaluate the meaning of the song in reference to wine.  This song, "Callin' Baton Rouge" is one of my favorite songs of all times.  I think I can listen to this wherever I go, and I don't know why really.  But for the first time, I actually heard Garth Brooks mention the word "wine" and I realized I never quite caught that before. For those unfamiliar with the song...


The lyric in the song involving wine is as such:
"A replay of last night's events roll through my mind
Except a scene or two erased by sweet red wine"

I guess I also have to admit I enjoy the reference to sweet red wine.  You don't hear that too often, but then again, it is a country song.  This takes me back to my summer days in Virginia, dancing the evenings away to a live band out in the grass hills near a local winery, sipping on sweet wines, and falling in love.  It's the perfect summer tale, and "Callin' Baton Rouge" follows that idea perfectly.  Haven't we all been there?  Fallen in love with someone we cannot get out of our minds?  It distracts us the entire drive home...  And entranced in our perfect occurrence was the perfect wine that we will always remember...

A summer day with sweet red wine
(Photo from Google Images)

If you haven't found a local summer wine festival to get outside, sip some wines, and enjoy some good ol' country music, you are missing out.  Those festivals were some of the best times I've had at a winery.  Get a group of friends to go, (make sure someone is the DD), and have a fun summer afternoon laughing the night away.  Remember to buy some bottles of wine to enjoy or take home with you.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment