Thursday, July 14, 2011

Listening to Wine Through "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" by Billy Joel

This is an oldie by goodie... for all those Billy Joel fans out there, anyway.  I can't get through a Greatest Hits album by Billy Joel without listening to "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" and there's so much wine this great love song!


"A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rose instead.
We'll get a table near the street
In our familiar place.
You and I - face to face
A bottle of red, a bottle of white
It all depends upon your appetite.
I'll meet you any time you want
At our Italian restaurant."

Following this slow introduction, the remainder of the song goes into 2 additional sections of music which actually have nothing to do with the wine intro.  In fact, I believe the song is compilation of 3 songs Billy wrote but never produced as individual singles.  The opening (signature line), "A bottle of white, a bottle of red, perhaps a bottle of rose instead?" was apparently said by Billy to a waiter at a restaurant one evening.

A bottle of red... at home?
(Photo from Google Images)

Regardless... I love this song and I love the wine mention.  The intro makes you feel like you're sitting at a little bistro restaurant with an old friend or lover getting ready for a warm summer's evening of Italian food.  Some of my best wine memories are at Italian restaurants, and I think this song captures the feeling that those little bistro dining spots hold for us.  :)



(Photos from Google Images)


No comments:

Post a Comment