Wednesday, February 1, 2012

What's in my Glass Wednesdays! 2010 Chateau Haut Guillebot Sauvignon Blanc

I took a chance on this wine... when I passed the French white Bordeaux section, I suddenly became thirsty for an old-world style Sauvignon Blanc.  I have to say, if you have never tasted an old-world Sauvignon Blanc, I highly recommend it.  It's so different from the new-world (New Zealand) style Sauvignon Blanc.  And it's an absolute steal!

2010 [Sauvignon Blanc] by Chateau Haut Guillebot



(Photos by author)

The D-2010 Scale 
2010 [Sauvignon Blanc] by Chateau Haut Guillebot (Bordeaux, France)
Appearance (10 points possible): pale yellow color, clear - 10 points
Aroma/Bouquet (20 points possible): Citrus, vanilla, cream, ripe apple, slight floral, fresh figs, and slight grassy notes.  Absolutely beautiful! - 20 points
Taste (10 points possible):  Medium-bodied, smooth and creamy, crisp food-friendly acidity, and a lingering finish of ripe apples and vanilla.  - 10 points
Balance (5 points possible): There's enough acidity that makes this incredibly food friendly or crisp enough to sip on it's own.  All the parts of this wine just meld together - like a perfect union. - 5 points
Finish (5 points possible): Smooth with a lingering crisp apple finish and hints of vanilla that appear later as the wine settles. - 5 points
Packaging *Introduction to the D-2010 Scale*
Quality of Package (5 points possible):  Typical Bordeaux bottle, technical (1+1) cork, silver capsule, and beautiful label. - 5 points
Label Marketability (10 points possible):  I really like this label - again traditional and classic.  The extra touch of blue glitz really pulls this package together.  It screams "Sauvignon Blanc" to me!  (Sauvignon Blanc is always a little cutting edge, isn't it?) - 10 points
Other (5 points possible):  The sparkling blue writing brings this package together, especially with the silver capsule!  I also love the story on the back label about how this wine has been made by seven generations of women in the same family. - 5 points
Total Points: 100 points
Overall Thought: Honestly, I talked myself into buying this wine because I was skeptical of the price.  It wasn't recommended by anyone or anything.  (No one even reviewed this wine... probably because it's only 12.5% alcohol... thank God, by the way!)  But I'm SO glad I bought this bottle.  Not only was it a fabulous choice - apparent Sauvignon Blanc married to some subtle oak and sur lie (creamy) characteristics, but having it for dinner with friends brought the whole experience together.  I don't believe I'll ever forget this evening or wine! And THAT is what wine should be!  (If you haven't figured it out, I'd buy this wine over and over again.)
Food Pairings:  It was actually marketed as a "sushi wine" so I gave it a try... knowing full well that sushi is so difficult to pair with wine (very salty, sometimes fishy, lots of spices and savory flavors).  But I could also see this wine with a light, white-sauce pasta or chicken dish.  I could see this with pork and fresh herbs or even some light roasted veggies. 
Cost: $11.99
Splurge Factor (out of 4): 1 -  Seriously - read that cost again!  $11.99 for an AMAZING wine.  What more can you ask for?  This is the type of wine that is consumer friendly, very approachable, and enjoyable... especially for dry wine drinkers or for those sweet wine drinkers that want to try something a bit more serious.
Where to buy:  Like last week, I purchased this one at Total Wine.  :)

Yummm... sushi and wine!
(Photo by author)



No comments:

Post a Comment