Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Beer for the Wine Drinker...

Every once and awhile I find a good beer that I'm sure wine drinkers would like.  (Many wine drinkers love all sorts of beers, but some are very, very particular!)  Here's wine that has the "essence of wine" built in: Rodenbach.

Rodenbach Beer
(Photo by author)

This is a Belgium style, so you can actually drink it in a large-bowled wine glass (as shown here in the picture).  It's hazy, bubbly, dark brown-ish color.  It has a distinguishable malty characteristic that is matched with crisp acidity (the part I like the most), some sour cherry, oaky, and caramel flavors.  I believe this is what some may call a standard "sour ale" - my personal favorites in the beer world.  So named because they carry more acetic acid (aka sourness) than most beers.  It's definitely a required taste, but I find them SO refreshing!

Best news - a 750-mL bottle (the size of a wine bottle) is only about $10.  I would definitely give this one a try.  You may be surprised how much you like it.  (Just don't expect it to taste like Bud Light!)  Cheers!

1 comment: