Friday, January 13, 2012

What the Wine Industry Isn't Like...

I didn't have any good "Friday Wine News You Can Use" but I did have a funny piece of information to share:
...Does anyone else out there watch TBS randomly on the weekends?  I think it was TBS that was playing the newer version of Disney's The Parent Trap starring the one and only Lindsay Lohan...

File:Parenttrapposter.jpg
(Photo from Google Images)

...Anyway, I caught this on TV (randomly) and was surprised to find out that the dad in the show (played by Dennis Quaid) owned and lived at a winery chateau in California.  Needless to say I had to laugh and caught myself watching the movie for all the winery scenes. 

There was a lot of wine in this movie:
People's exhibit A
(Photo from Google Images)

But it sure was funny to watch Disney portray how "peaceful" owning a winery and making wine seemed to be.  I especially enjoyed the wine cellar scene where the Dad showed off his magnificent wine cellar.  And I can promise you that if it's raining in the growing season (like it was near the end of the movie when the Mom and Annie return to London), that winemaker will be flipping out in the vineyard... not watching the rain fall from indoors calmly.

All I'm saying is, I'm sure this is what most people think wine making and owning a winery is really like.  But, this is the picturesque view of the industry - it's not reality.  Wine making is really hard work - a lifestyle choice.  And as you spend some time in California, you learn that many of those rather large fancy buildings are nothing more than a facade...

Here's the trailer for those who have never seen the movie...

The House in Napa Valley - From Movie
(Photo from Google Images)

Fun fact!  The house where the vineyard scenes were filmed were actually in Napa Valley - at Staglin Family Vineyards in Rutherford.  You can catch a picture of the house on their website.

Staglin Family Vineyards
(Photo from Website)


No comments:

Post a Comment