Wednesday, January 25, 2012

What's in My Glass Wednesdays! 2008 Chateau Phillippe-le-Hardi (Bourgogne)

Sometimes you buy a French wine and it's the most amazing experience you've ever had.  And sometimes you buy one that just flat out disappoints.  In my never-ending quest to find good, high-quality, thrifty wines, sometimes I just take the plunge and try things.  This is one of those examples...  "Bourgogne" basically indicates that this is bulk Pinot Noir from Burgundy... and that's kind of what you get!  It's so hard to find a good old-world Pinot for under $30.  So without more of an introduction (although that wasn't the nicest intro ever...), I introduce to you...

2008 Chateau Phillippe-le-Hardi Pinot Noir

(Photos by author)


The D-2010 Scale 
2008 Pinot Noir by Phillippe-le-Hardi (Burgundy, France)
Appearance (10 points possible): brick red, slightly brown edges - 8 points
Aroma/Bouquet (20 points possible): Loved this nose!  It was so appealing - lots of ripe red cherries (as if you are picking them straight from the tree), spice, and ripe raspberries.  So enticing... - 19 points
Taste (10 points possible):  Acidic, but medium-bodied, slightly astringent, lacks flavor on palate and on the finish, finish is slightly bitter and tastes like saw dust.  - 4 points
Balance (5 points possible):  The acidity sticks out to me in this wine, and without any flavor, I find this to be very uninteresting. - 2 points
Finish (5 points possible): Saw dusty, flavorless, and slightly bitter. - 2 points
Packaging *Introduction to the D-2010 Scale*
Quality of Package (5 points possible):  Typical Burgundian bottle, technical (1+1) cork, and traditional French labeling. - 5 points
Label Marketability (10 points possible):  I actually like this label with a picture of the chateau on the front.  It kind of makes you feel like you can see the whole winemaking process.  Very traditional and classy.  - 9 points
Other (5 points possible):  Extra seals and golden capsule.  I'll give this bottle an extra point for that! - 4 points
Total Points: 83 points
Overall Thought: I was really disappointed in this wine.  I gave it an 83 so it was good enough to drink, but I won't be purchasing this again.  (Here's a lovely example on how the first taste makes a lasting impression on consumers.)  It was a recommended wine at Total Wine, marked as one of the employee's favorite wines.  However, it can be improved.  I recommend food.  More specifically, I recommend something fatty like fried foods or cheese.  Highly recommend your favorite cheese... why not? 
Food Pairings:  Oops!  I already gave it away - cheese and fatty foods!  Try something fried like fried chicken, country fried steak, fried shrimp, fried fish sandwich... yummm.
Cost: $20
Splurge Factor (out of 4): 2 - within the budget, not the best buy (as I didn't find it that yummy), but worth a try to make up your own preferences
Where to buy:  I actually purchased this at Total Wine, but as it's a bulk wine, I'm sure you could find this at many different wine stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment